The Multi-Search is a resource which allows you to search 130 of our databases and our Libraries print catalog at the same time.
ProQuest Central is a resource which allows you to search 30 databases which are not indexed in the Multi-Search. It also searches dissertations and theses.
This means you can search broadly for your topic amongst databases which contain newspapers, magazines, and scholarly articles and books.
Things to remember:
1) The Multi Search doesn't search everything the Libraries has access to electronically. We have over 500 databases and this resource searches only a quarter of them.
ProQuest Central allows you to search a portion of the databases NOT in the Multi-Search (30 in total).
2) DON'T click on the "Full Text" limiter. Most of our articles are stored in other databases and websites, and you will be missing out on a lot of great information. Look for the Find it @ UGA button if the full text article isn't immediately linked.
3) Beware of the fire hydrant effect! If you've ever done a broad search in Google you've experienced this. If you're getting too many articles and books in your results, try going to a subject specific database.
At the UGA Libraries you have access to over 500 different databases containing full text news, scholarly articles, books, and archival materials. The best way to search for materials is to use our Research by Subject list to find the databases most used in your area of study.
Choose from the list provided, and you'll see a list of databases related to every topic studied at UGA. The Librarian assigned to that subject area curates this list, and provides the most frequently used "Best Bets" databases at the top.
Tips for using Google Scholar more effectively:
1. Start from our library's homepage to ensure access to UGA's subscribed content. Alternatively, you can edit your Scholar preferences to include library links for University of Georgia.
2. Use the " icon under the citations in Google Scholar to see the citations in the more popular citation styles including MLA, APA, Chicago, etc. You can also download your citations to citation managers from this link.
Getting the full text of articles in GALILEO:
If the results have a link that says '.pdf full text' or '.html full text' under it:
If it does NOT have those links:
Most GALILEO databases have the UGA Access button to help you access the full text articles in the UGA Libraries.
UGA has access to two citation managers: EndNote and Refworks. Each has unique features, but they both are tools for creating your own library of the citations you are using in your research. Additionally, they interface with your word processor to format both your in-text citations and bibliography in whatever citation format you need for your paper.
Learn more about these tools via this online tutorial.
EndNote is the first part of the tutorial, and RefWorks is the second part (starts at 24:36)
If you need additional training, please fill out our training request form, and someone will get back to you shortly.
The Graduate School, Division of Academic Enhancement, and the UGA Writing Center all offer writing consultations. For Fall Semester, these consultations will be online only. Please see below for the scope of each divisions services and how to make appointments online:
To make an appointment, visit the UGA Writing Center website: www.english.uga.edu/appointments
1. Register with the online system: Go to uga.mywconline.com and click the link on the left that says "Register for an account"
2. Find the GradsWrite Studio appointment window in the drop-down menu.
3. Choose your appointment time and appointment type: Choose the appointment time that will work for you and choose between a realtime and email feedback appointment.
4. Prepare to submit your writing for feedback: Upload your work to the appointment window for email feedback or prepare your work in time for your real-time appointment.
5. Receive feedback: You will receive feedback based on the method chosen - real-time or email - during your appointment time.
Undergraduate & Graduate Students:
To make an appointment, visit the DAE website: dae.uga.edu/services/tutoring/writing
All UGA affiliates:
Visit the UGA Writing Center website to make an appointment: www.english.uga.edu/appointments