Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Downloading eBooks to Mobile Devices
What's Different About Downloading to a Mobile Device?
Mobile devices (here meaning non black and white e-readers) have a different downloading process.
In order to download to a compatible mobile device, you can download directly to the Bluefire app, and will not need to download the Adobe Digital Editions software onto your computer. You will, however, still need to create an Adobe ID. Almost any mobile device (tablet or smartphone) is compatible, with the exception of the Kindle.
How to Download an eBook to a Compatible Mobile Device (iPad, Android tablet, Kindle Fire)
- Download the Bluefire app, and authorize with your Adobe ID. If you do not have an Adobe ID, go to www.adobe.com, and tap Sign In to create an account.
- Using the internet browser on your mobile device, locate the eBook you would like to download in the UGA Libraries catalog, GIL.
- If requested, enter your MyID and password.
- Select the option to download the eBook
- The title should automatically open the Bluefire app. Tap on Open, if prompted
- Download PDF to your computer and using drag-and-drop via usb move it to your Kindle OR
- Transfer documents in other formats to your kindle by using your Kindle email address.
- With a Kindle Fire you can directly download PDF via the web browser and then convert the document (via convert) to a Kindle compatible format
- File formats supported (e-books): AZW, KF8, DOC, DOCX, HTML, RTF, MOBI, PRC, PDF, TXT)
- Download file to your computer and use the custom microUSB cable provided with your NOOK Color, connecting your NOOK Color to your personal computer.
- When you connect your NOOK Color to your personal computer, your NOOK Color will appear as a new disk drive called “MyNOOKcolor” on your personal computer. Drag the files you want to transfer onto the “MyNOOKcolor” drive.
- File formats supported (e-books): ePub, PDF, CBZ, PDF, TXT, DOC, DOCM, DOCX, XLS, XLSM, XLX, PPT, PPS, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, PPTX
To use our GALILEO databases, e-journals, and e-books from off-campus and some UGA wireless networks, you'll be prompted to log in with your MyID and password. Your MyID is your UGAMail address minus the "@uga.edu."
Forgot your MyID and/or password?
Don't have a UGA MyID? Visit or contact Access Services to find out if you are eligible to have a library account created for you: