Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How to Download and Authorize Adobe Digital Editions
What is Adobe Digital Editions?
Adobe Digital Editions is a free software used for Digital Rights Management of eBooks. Basically what it does is help you get the eBook onto a device (computer, tablet, smartphone, etc) and automatically "returns" it for you at the end of your checkout period.
Do I really Need to Download It?
You will need to download Adobe Digital Editions if:
- You want to read an eBook offline
- You want to read an eBook on a compatible computer
- You want to read an eBook on a compatible eReader (like Nook or Kobo)
You will not need to download Adobe Digital Editions if:
- You are downloading to a UGA computer. You will need an Adobe ID. Go to www.adobe.com to create an account.
- You only want to read an eBook online.
- You want to download an eBook to a compatible smartphone or tablet. There's an app for that! (see the tab above for mobile devices)
How to Download Adobe Digital Editions
- Visit the Adobe Digital Editions website
- Click on the download now link, located in the "next steps" navigation pane, on the right side of the webpage.
- Select the appropriate link from the "Adobe Digital Editions Installers" section, based on whether you are using a Mac or a PC.
- You should now see the Adobe Digital Editions Setup pop-up. Click Next.
- You will see a prompt asking you about where you would like to save Adobe Digital Editions. The default file is usually the best option. To select the default folder, click Install
- Once Adobe Digital Editions has installed, you will see a message that says "Completed." Click Close to close the set-up box and launch Adobe Digital Editions.
- Read through the License Agreement, and click I Agree to continue.
- Next, you will see the Adobe Digital Editions Set-Up Assistant. Click on Continue.
- You will then be asked to authorize Adobe Digital Editions for your computer. If you already have an Adobe ID, you can enter your information in the space provided. If you have never downloaded e-books before, it is likely you do not have an Adobe ID. To create one, click on the link that says “Get an Adobe ID Online."
- This launches a new web browser window. To set up a new Adobe ID, click on the yellow icon that says “Create and Adobe ID”
- Next, fill in all of the required information. The email you provide will become your Adobe ID.