Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Located in the Lamar Dodd School of Art, Room N201, the Art Library is the central resource for all of your research needs. You can study here, pick up and return books, use our computers, or get research help!
- Contact me with questions or to set up a research appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chat with a librarian online at http://www.libs.uga.edu/chat
- Walk up help at the Art Library
Your GIL Account - Log on to GIL to renew books online, check the status of GILExpress requests, and get the off campus password for the article databases. If you can't get in to your account, call Access Services at (706) 542-3256.
Endote / Refworks - Citation management systems to help you manage your records. Create bibliographies in any citation style with the click of a button!
SmartHistory - Interactive website with lectures (conversations between scholars), images, timelines and more from ancient art to contemporary.
PBS Learning Media - Curriculum ideas and videos divided by grade.
Digital Image Collections
Articles & Databases
Search databases simultaneously, with Multisearch: 90+ databases with links to full text for thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers, and more plus citations to books in the UGA Libraries' - all under one search box. Use the left menu to narrow your results to certain publication dates or by 'Source Types' such as 'Peer Reviewed' or 'Periodicals.'
Multisearch includes results from our local book catalog as well as citations from these art and education-specific databases:
- ERIC is the premier database for education. Covers all aspects of education and educational research, includes both abstracts of published and unpublished sources on thousands of educational topics. Coverage Dates: 1966-
- Education Research Complete indexes more than 2,200 journals and provides full text for over 1,300. Also contains the full text of selected reference books and conference papers. Coverage Dates: 1865-
- Educational Administration Abstracts indexes professional and peer-reviewed articles and contains more than 66,000 records selected from the most important sources within the field of Education. Coverage Dates: 1966-
- Art & Architecture Source combines content from Art Index/Art Index Retrospective and Art & Architecture Complete. This database covers over 630 full-text journals and more than 220 full-text books and includes over 63,000 images as well as art reproduction records. Coverage Dates: 1929-Present
- Artstor is an image database that documents artistic traditions across many time periods and cultures including architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, and design. The collection is over 1.9 million images and continues to grow. The Dodd's Art History Image Database is housed in Artstor and is available to UGA users only. Any search in Artstory will show UGA users both Artstor and Dodd image results. When you search in Artstor any image marked "Institutional" is a part of the Dodd's collection.
From 1999 on, most UGA theses & dissertations, including previous MAed Applied Projects and written MFA Thesis Reports, can be accessed electronically here.
Proquest Dissertations and Theses Full Text (formerly Dissertation Abstracts) is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses from around the world, offering millions of works from thousands of universities. Each year hundreds of thousands of works are added. Full-text coverage spans from 1743 to the present, with citation coverage dating back to 1637.
WorldCat Dissertations and Theses includes all dissertations, theses and published material based on theses cataloged by OCLC members, including all subjects. Links to openly available electronic copies are provided when available. There are currently over 5 million records for dissertations and theses in WorldCat, including more than 7500 available in full text online. Use the Libraries Worldwide link to determine which libraries include the dissertation or thesis in their holdings.
Can't find it at UGA?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a free service that allows you to borrow books, dissertations, and journal articles from libraries all over the world.
- Log on (You will be asked to create an account if this is your first request)
- Choose the type of item you are requesting (i.e. book or journal article)
- Complete the citation information on the form and submit your request
- ILL will contact you via email when it is ready for you to pick up or access online
GIL Express allows you to borrow books from other University System of Georgia institutions.
- Search the GIL Universal Catalog to find the book you want.
- Log in to initiate the request. You can choose to have the book sent to any library on campus, including the Art Library!
- Pick up the book when you receive an email that it has arrived.
- You can return the book to any USG library. Check for the status of your request and renew your book online in your GIL account.