1. Criticism on the exact piece of literature
Ex: "Turtles all the way Down"
If it is new, there may not be any criticism!
2. Criticism on the author's other work or general work
Ex: John Green
This works better for people who have written many works and for many years.
3. Scholarship on the genre/movement and how it works with a topic
Ex. YA literature AND race, YA literature AND trauma, Graphic novels AND boyhood, Southern gothic AND ghosts
4. Scholarship on a literary theme (interdisciplinary or in lit)
Ex. trauma, disability, race, sexuality, queer, confession, family, gothic, spirits, humor, place, home
5. Scholarship on a style of analysis
Ex. Feminism AND YA