To use our GALILEO databases, e-journals, and e-books from off-campus and some UGA wireless networks, you'll be prompted to log in with your MyID and password. Your MyID is your UGAMail address minus the "@uga.edu."
Don't have a MyID? Login with the GALILEO password that you can get in your library account. Once you have the password, go to this page to login. Contact Access Services at 706-542-3256 if you have trouble accessing your library account. The password changes every semester.
Chambers of Commerce
Chambers of Commerce websites
- May contain demographic and economic statistical data for the area, as well as directory information on members.
- Perform a Google search for the pertinent chamber of commerce. For example: "chamber of commerce" athens georgia
- Interactive mapping tool that let's you build a map that displays features such as roads, airports, towns, streams, etc. Includes a zoom function as well as an identify function, which provides additional information about the selected feature.
Rand McNally Commercial Atlas & Marketing Guide (ceased publication as of 2010 edition)
- A two-volume atlas. Volume 1 contains maps showing many types of geographies use in marketing: trading areas, metro areas, core based statistical areas, counties, states. The state maps indicate rivers, highways, railroads, and airports. The volume also provides basic demographic information and economic data for various geographic areas. Volume II is primarily a gazetteer.
- Location: Main Library Reference Room. call number Folio G1036 .R187c (Shelved with the atlases near end of reference shelves. Older editions shelved in the Map & Government Information Library. Does not circulate. Tifton Campus students will have to use a substitute such as the National Atlas Mapmaker.)
RMA Annual Statement Studies (Risk Management Association)
- A print source presenting aggregate balance sheet, income, and ratio data on 700+ industries. Useful for measuring the performance of a company against the whole industry or for projecting the performance of a new business. Data are compiled from a sample of 190,000 financial statements of companies served by commercial banks.
- Provides 23 financial statement items and 19 ratios. Breakdown by asset and sales sizes.
- Arranged by NAICS codes.
- Location: Main Library Reference Room (HF5681 .B2 R63) Tifton campus students can borrow a previous edition from our general collection by using the Book Request Form. Look in the GIL catalog record for this title to get holdings information.
- Another good source of performance data is: Industry Norms & Key Business Ratios (Dun & Bradstreet) Main Library Reference Room (HF5681 .R25 I531 - I571)
- These standardized codes are used widely by the U.S. Government and commerical firms to classify industries. For example, County Business Patterns and the Economic Census use this system to present their data. Codes progress from the two digit level for an economic sector to the six digit level for a specific industry.
- In-depth reports of over 1000 industries represented by 5-digit NAICS codes. Covers industry segments, market charatertistics, industry conditions, profiles of key companies, and industry outlook.
- Annual data (latest 2012) on the number of business establishments and their employment, by NAICS codes.
- Detailed data on farms, crops, and livestock on the national, state and county levels.
- Conducted every five years (latest 2012) by USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service.
- Covers most economic sectors including wholesale trade, retail trade, and manufacturing. Does not cover agriculture. Conducted every 5 years (latest is 2012). Contains separate industry and geographic reports. Uses NAICS codes to arrange data.
- Available from the Census Bureau via American Factfinder. Select Advanced Search, select your county under Geographies; to find retail trade, etc., click Industry Codes; then Naics/Naics Based Industries; then open Industry Sectors.
- A database containing brief information on 30 million U.S. business establishments of many sizes
- Use NAICS or SIC categories to search by industry. Or search by county, ZipCode or other parameters.
- Another directory database that covers U.S. businesses and provides radius searching: ReferenceUSA
Chat with us: http://www.libs.uga.edu/chat/
Text us: 706-363-0836
Call us: 706-542-3251
Email us: email@example.com
Visit us: Reference librarians are at desks in the Main Library near the front door, the MLC at the top of the third floor stairs, and in the Science Library. You can also request an individual consultation with a librarian for one-on-one research help.